This page is essentially to record what I’ve been doing during my gap year, aka my bridge year. Below you will see the activities that I’ve done since January 2016 to May 2017!
AS OF 2017…
THINGS I AM & WANT TO BE
- 50 books. All year.
- Blogger (mistyproser)
- Website. All year.
- Social Media. Instagram. Tumblr. Goodreads. All year.
- YouTube. All year.
- Italian. All year.
- Chinese. Feb-Aug.
- ASL. ?-Aug.
- Trip planning. Occasionally.
- WASLI. All year.
- Fitness & Health Enthusiast
- Meditation. Feb-Aug.
- Jogging. Biking. Roller skating. Feb-Aug.
- Strength-training. Feb-Aug.
- Systema. Mar-Aug.
- Ballet. Apr-June.
- Cello. All year.
- Piano. Mar-?.
- Volunteering. Mar-Aug.
AS A CREATIVE PERSON, I AM A…
- Camera (Olympus Pen E-PL7). All year.
- Journal. All year.
- Calligraphy. All year.
- Ambidexterity. Mar-Aug.
- Figure out my style. All year.
SOMEDAY, I HOPE TO BECOME A…
- Psychologist (not for occupational purposes)
AS OF 2016….
THINGS I MUST DO REGARDLESS OF WHETHER I GO TO COLLEGE OR NOT
1. FITNESS & HEALTH
- Meditation. August-present. Used Headspace for several months, before turning to mantra meditation on my own.
- Pilates – Mat and Reformer. March-December. Emphasizes toning in tandem to breathing.
- Systema self-defense martial arts. January-December. Self-protection, but its breathing and calming exercises are amazing.
- Strength-training workouts. All year. Pretty self-explanatory.
- Cycling. August-December. For when I’m not feeling very sporty.
- Roller skating. September-December. To fulfill my dreams as a pro figure ice skater.
- Yoga. March-June, August-October. Tried out Bikram, Hatha, Vinyasa, Kundalini, finally settling with Ashtanga. Later, I started doing it at home as stretches after exercising.
- Ballet. April-June. Flexibility, dance, discipline. (Wish I could have gone back!)
- Coding. June-December. Codecademy. Languages:
- HTML and CSS.
- Python. (Barely)
- Psychology. July-November. Online.
- “Buddhism and Modern Psychology“. (Princeton, Coursera)
- “Psych 110: Introduction to Psychology”. (Open Yale Courses)
3. LANGUAGE & LITERATURE
- Reading. All year. Goal of 80 books.
- Blogging. All year. Regular posts per week.
- Writing. All year. Blog, reviews, college essays.
- ASL. July-December. Online at ASLU.
- German. January-August. Basic level. For fun.
- Italian. January-August. Basic level. Duolingo, online. Another Romance language!
- Cello. All year. Suzuki books. Bach suites. Concertos.
- Orchestra. All year. (On-off) Orchestral experience.
6. WORK & VOLUNTEERING
- National Sign Language Association. All year.
- Association of Sign Language Interpreters. April-December. Translation Coordinator.
- Volunteer music teacher. All year.
5. CREATIVITY & SKILLS
- Creativity. All year, weekends. Just art in general.
- Photography. All year.
- Bullet journal. June-December. Creative flow.
- Ambidexterity. September-December. What if I break my dominant hand?
- Backpacking trip research. May-September. Culture, language and skills of visiting countries.
- Cook and bake. All year. Basic Peruvian dishes, cakes, cookies.
- Driving license. February-June.
Cats. Know how to take care of one.(Not yet)
THINGS I MUST DO TO PREPARE FOR COLLEGE APPLICATIONS
DONE, DONE AND DONE!
I did not have the best senior year in high school, which directly affected my overall GPA. To compensate for this, I have to retake a few standardized exams:
- SAT II Biology. June. Check.
- TOEFL. July. Check.
- ACT. Check.
This is where the biggest change (I think) goes. I’m linking academics to my possible majors and career interests, which I believe will continue changing for a while. But here are just some of my interests, which I hope to be able to peruse and pursue for a while before I settle down on one or two:
- Social/Personality Psychology.
- Industrial and Organizational Psychology.
- Media Studies or Communication.
- Language and Literature.
- Digital Writing.
- Business (Entrepreneurial Studies).
- Creative Writing.
- Classical music. Cello.
- Fitness & Health. Personal benefits.
- Visual arts (graphic/web design). WordPress & Blogging related.
- Coding. The future. Would help with my web design and blogging interests too.
- Vintage fashion. Personal taste.
3. COLLEGE APPLICATIONS
- Early Action. By November 1.
- Exams, essays, supplements.
- Transcripts, recommendation letters.
I think that’s it. I hope, if you read the whole list, that it was useful for you too, because writing them all down has definitely made me reflect upon them much more. Thanks for reading!